TOKYO, 11 Oct - The best quotes from coaches and players at RWC 2019 on Friday, October 11.
"This will be the most significant match and that's because we're in a position we're now top of the table and we've got the opportunity to win the pool. If we win on Sunday we go out confidently to the quarter-finals - that's never ever happened before."
- Japan head coach Jamie Joseph, above, on whether the Scotland game is the most significant in Japanese rugby history.
"I had a good laugh about them. You may know coaches use press conference to put messages out and get a response. Sometimes you don’t get one."
- Scotland coach Gregor Townsend on coach Joseph’s comments that it would be an embarrassment for Scotland if they did not beat Japan.
"Robbie Russell scored the final try to make it 98-8 and I had to nail the conversion to make it 100. The funny thing was, I was looking at the scoreboard and thinking, ‘What are they going to do if this gets to 100?' There were only two spaces on the board to show the points."
- Chris Paterson, Scotland's record points scorer, recalls the 2004 test between Scotland and Japan – the only time Scotland scored 100 points in a game (they won 100-8).
"It's not something we can control so I don't care about it at all. The turf might be wet but I'll take a couple of pair of boots with different lengths of studs as my personal preparation."
- It will take a lot more than Typhoon Hagibis to distract Japan's Keita Inagaki from his game.
"Personally, I've never been a part of something like this, and it's interesting."
- Springboks coach Rassie Erasmus is similarly unperturbed.
"It's a bit of the unknown. We're not too sure about these typhoons. The talk is about just hunkering down tomorrow and seeing what happens."
- New Zealand's Ben Smith has his Saturday all sorted out.
"No, no wager. There’s a bit of slagging all right, but I think the two of us would be happy enough to go the whole tournament without a try, but with us winning a few games."
- Ireland winger Keith Earls won't bet with fellow winger Jacob Stockdale on who will be the first to score a try.
"We've been together for a good eight weeks and it's pretty much been my family for the last two months, a great family. We've had our ups and downs as any family would but we've managed to solve everything within our family and we're still tight."
- Samoa's Jack Lam on the team singing in the changing room after the captain's run.
"To see that 48 per cent of the entire nation are watching a game of rugby, I mean it’s unbelievable what’s happening in the growth of the game in this country and how much bigger it’s going to go because of that. So it would be tremendous for them if they get to a quarter-final and, dare I say it, even further."
- USA coach Gary Gold on RWC 2019's impact on Japan.
"For us, they (Japan) are an unbelievable role model for so many reasons and I’m talking about the USA, particularly. This is the reason why I feel so very strongly that if World Rugby genuinely do want to grow the game - as they claim they want to - then USA have to be a contender for the 2027 Rugby World Cup."
- Gary Gold again, staking the USA's claim to host.