Located next to Fukuoka City, Itoshima offers a sparkling view of blue sea, while offering a laid-back lifestyle, cool cafes and restaurants, and beach activities like surfing. The most popular spot here is Sakurai Futamigaura, where you can watch the sunset framed between two giant rocks. This view has also been selected as one of Japan’s top spots to view the sunset.
Roughly 40 minutes from central Hakata on the Fukuoka Municipal Subway Line
Munakata Taisha Shrine
Designated by UNESCO’s World Heritage list as “Sacred Island of Okinoshima and Associated Sites in the Munakata Region” in 2017, Fukuoka City’s Munakata Taisha Shrine represents the head of several thousands of Munakata shrines in Japan. The shrine has attracted visitors since ancient times as it houses the god of paths, to whom visitors pray for nautical and traffic safety. This historic sight showcases about 80,000 national treasures that were unearthed on Okinoshima Island.
Address 2331 Tajima, Munakata City, Fukuoka Prefecture 811-3505
Opening hours 6:00 to 17:00 (treasure house from 9:00 to 16:30, entry until 16:00)
Access 30–40-minute train journey from Hakata Station to Togo Station via the JR Kagoshima Main Line
Fukuoka Hakatanomori Stadium
Surrounded by green, verdant forest and on the doorstep of the wonderfully cosmopolitan yet laidback southern city of Fukuoka, Fukuoka Hakatanomori Stadium will be an incredible venue from which to enjoy some cracking Rugby World Cup (RWC) 2019 action. The stadium is a compact and intimate venue with a purpose-built rectangular stadium, allowing fans proximity to the on-field action as well as to the city of Fukuoka, where they can enjoy the pre and post-match atmosphere.
Address 2-1-1 Higashihirao Koen, Hakata-ku Fukuoka, 816-0052
Opening times and Stadium information
Fukuoka Hakatanomori Stadium will open two hours before kick-off to allow spectators time to get to their seats as well as enjoy the once-in-a-lifetime RWC 2019 atmosphere. Please either walk or make use of temporary bus services when travelling to the stadium from Fukuoka Airport. There are no spectator car parking facilities available on match days. Traffic regulations will be in place during match days so please avoid travelling by car to the stadium. Due to large crowds, spectators may experience delays when entering the stadium, so we recommend you arrive at the stadium at least 90 minutes before kick-off, allowing at least 60 minutes to clear security and access your seat.
Thursday 26 September 16:45 (JST) Italy v Canada
Wednesday 2 October 16:45 (JST) France v USA
Saturday 12 October 19:45 (JST) Ireland v Samoa
Rugby World Cup 2019™ Fanzones
Rugby World Cup 2019TM Fanzones bring together fans from all over the world to celebrate everything that is rugby. Take in the unique culture, entertainment and local food and beverage of each host city while watching matches live on the big screen and enjoying one-of-a-kind RWC 2019 events on show. Make the most of this once-in-a-lifetime experience and make friends with fans from all across the globe!
Keep an eye out for rugby-themed events, tourist attractions and information on Fukuoka City’s Rugby World Cup website that will be launched closer to tournament time, here.
Getting to Fukuoka Hakata Station Square Fanzone
A 35-minute journey from the stadium via subway and shuttle bus
Hakata Station Square Fanzone is located in the heart of the city and will host 27 live matches broadcast between 20 September and 13 October. Spectators can experience one-of-a-kind Japanese cultural and rugby-themed Fanzone events, as well as taste delicious local dishes from the Kyushu area.
20–22, 26–28 September
2–5, 12, 13 October
*Except for 20 September, when the Fanzone will open 17:00-22:00
For more information, please visit rugbyworldcup.com/fanzones
Getting to and from Fukuoka Hakatanomori Stadium
- The nearest stations to the stadium are: JR Hakata Station and Fukuoka Airport Subway Station.
- It is expected to be very busy after the match. Please be prepared to queue; we will get you on your way as quickly as possible.
- The stadium will remain open for 90 minutes after the match for those wanting to stay behind and make the most of the RWC 2019 atmosphere.
- The Fanzone at Hakata Station is open until 22:00 so please stop by and enjoy the once-in-a-lifetime RWC 2019 events and attractions
- If you intend on driving, please use park and ride. It is reservation only. Spaces are limited so book your place well in advance to avoid disappointment.
- Allow plenty of time to get your return transport back; do not wait until the last service.
- For more information, please visit rubyworldcup.com
- For live transport updates follow us on Twitter at @Japan2019_ENG
There will be plenty of food, drink and entertainment on offer in the stadium that you can enjoy, however, to ensure the safety of spectators, the following items are prohibited from being brought into match venues.
- Weapons of any type, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, cans or bottles, metal containers, long umbrellas, any luggage, selfie sticks, drones, flares, radio wave emitting devices (such as walkie-talkies, wireless microphones,) etc
Please note that there will be no place to leave luggage, either inside or outside match venues.
For more information about prohibited items, please click here